Holidays in follonica at Tuscany Seaside
"exchars" may not be over 1200 (set to 3500) for users.
"exlimit" was too large for a whole article extracts request, lowered to 1.
HTML may be malformed and/or unbalanced and may omit inline images. Use at your own risk. Known problems are listed at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TextExtracts#Caveats.Follonica (Italian pronunciation: [folˈlɔːnika]) is a town and comune (township) of province of Grosseto in the Italian region of Tuscany, on the Gulf of Follonica (Golfo di Follonica), about 40 kilometres (25 mi) northwest of the city of Grosseto.
It was founded in 1834 by Grand Duke Leopold II of Tuscany for the workers of a new ironworks plant. However, the area was already settled in Etruscan and Roman times, and a medieval castle (Castello di Valli), whose ruins overlook now the modern town from a nearby hill, existed since at least 884. Until 1923 it was a frazione of Massa Marittima.
Church of San Leopoldo, built by will of duke Leopold II of Tuscany starting from 1836
Castle of Valli, built in the 8th century as residence of the bishops of Lucca; later it was owned by the Aldobrandeschi who, in the 13th century, sold it to the Republic of Pisa. In the 14th century it was a fortress of the Principality of Piombino until...